Steve Hughes and Laura Flores Shaw - Brain Storming Tour 2018
AMI 6-12 ASSISTANT
International Certificate Course aimed to help interested adults become informed, capable,
and supportive assistants to a trained elementary teacher. Further, the programme may
serve as an information course for administrators of schools and parents.
GOAL OF THE COURSE
To learn the Montessori philosophy with regard to child development.
To observe the elementary child (2nd plane of development).
To learn how to interact with the Montessori trained teacher.
To learn how to interact with the elementary child.
To acquire the ability to support the development of the child by assisting the teacher.
DIRECTOR OF TRAINING - Carla Foster
Carla Foster has been the AMI Director of Diploma Course at Montessori Training Center of New England (MTCNE) the past few years and also works at the University College, Høgskolen i Vestfold og Buskerud, in Norway.
Carla holds a bachelor degree in Social Anthropology and Scandinavian Studies and a combined Masters degree in Old Icelandic Literature and Norwegian Literature from UC Berkeley. She has AMI 3-6 and 6-12 diplomas from MMI in London and the Montessori Institute of Milwaukee. She has worked with children at the levels 3-6, 6-9 and 9-12, working in both private and public Montessori schools. She has been an elementary trainer since 2011 and had the privilege of doing some of that training under Jean Miller at the Navadisha Montessori Institute in Chennai, India, and the rest under Ann Dunne in London, England.
Carla is originally from California, but has lived in Norway since 1995, where she had a 6-9 class for 12 years and consults for schools in Norway. She has also taught ballet, modern dance, African dance and Irish dance for many years and has given workshops on writing and bringing drama, music and dance into the elementary classroom.
Carla currently trains the 2nd 6-12 Diploma Course in Prague.
60 hours plus 9 additional hours of observations in an elementary classroom. Observation hours
are integrated in the course.
lectures and other work
Daily schedule: 9:00 – 17:00
Note: Last day of the Course after lectures there will be Certification Awarding Ceremony.
English, with translation to Czech.
To Educate the Human Potential, The Formation of Man, Education and Peace. Other readings
may be included.
THE COURSE CONTENT
I. Introduction to Montessori
II. Introduction to Montessori’s theory of human development
• Needs and tendencies
• Self construction
• Four planes of development
• Characteristics of child in second plane
III. The prepared environment for the second plane
• The elementary teacher
• The materials
• Other adults (assistant, experts)
IV. The plan for the elementary child
• Cosmic education
• The pedagogical techniques (examples of lessons may be included)
• Role of teacher (transmitter of knowledge, inspiration)
• Class composition (mixed ages, suf cient children)
• Story telling/oral introductions (Great Stories/ other stories)
• Content knowledge (key lessons)
• Sensorial/imaginative presentations, leading to abstraction
• Develop imagination, leading to creativity
• Awareness of necessity for social/moral development
• Going Out (implementing the child’s self construction)
• Other adults (there is more outside the classroom)
V. Freedom and responsibility
• Freedom as applied to child in elementary environment
• Responsibility as applied to child in elementary environment
VI. Interacting with the elementary child
• Manner of speaking to a child
• Appropriate direction for a child
• Manner of redirecting child
VII. Assisting the trained teacher:
• Have regular meetings with the teacher
• Observation of the children that supports the work of the teacher/child
• Maintenance of the environment
• Ordering supplies
• Accompanying children on Going Outs
• Role Model for appropriate classroom behaviours (language, movement, activity)
• Maintain confidentiality
Some time will be be dedicated to the reading and discussion of Maria Montessori's texts relevant to topics given.
REQUIREMENTS FOR CERTIFICATION
Submission of three papers (500 words) on topics set by the Trainer
Submission of observation report
Minimum of 90% attendance
ARE YOU INTERESTED?
If you wish to enroll in the course or have any other questions, please contact us!
In your note to us, please, state which course you are interested in. Thank you.